Lights! Camera! Science! Create a unique short video to share your creativity and love of science with the world. You could highlight an aspect of Earth or space science in an entertaining way for a non-scientific audience, tell an autobiographical story of an interesting geophysical career path, or even perform a song or skit on Earth or space science subjects! If your entertaining or educational video is chosen as the winner, you will receive free registration to the 2013 AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco, California!
- Open to AGU student members. (Renew or become a member for only $20!)
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Up to four (4) collaborators will receive free registration. All must be AGU student members.
- Must agree to and sign the contest terms and conditions on entry form.
- EDUCATIONAL. Can your videos inspire a new generation of Earth and space scientists? If so, submit an entertaining video explanation of an aspect of Earth and space science for a non-scientific audience.
- CAREER PROFILE. Do you have a fascinating story to tell about your career and/or research? Submit a biographical story of an interesting career path in the geosciences.
- HUMOROUS. Have you written songs about seismicity/ocean circulation/ecogeomorphology that you’re not embarrassed to share? Entertain us all with a song or skit.
- This is an example of one approach. Feel free to be creative! What is a Flame?
- Videos must relate to the geophysical sciences.
- Digital entries only. We will accept video files in the following formats ONLY: .mp4, .mov, .avi
- Videos must not exceed five (5) minutes in length.
- Up to four (4) collaborators may win free 2013 Fall Meeting registration per video submission.
- If others aside from the collaborators appear in the video submission, collaborators must obtain a signed release form and submit the form along with their contest entry.
- The video must be your own original, unpublished work and must not include any third-party logos or copyrighted material. By entering the competition, you agree that your submission is your own work.
- Use the following file name convention when uploading your design: video_YOURLASTNAME_YOURFIRSTNAME.(file extension) e.g. video_Potter_Harry.mp4
- Fill out and save the contest entry form. All collaborators must sign the entry form and terms of conditions. AGU Student Video Contest Entry Form
- Submit design by uploading to AGU’s FTP account along with contest entry form. NOTE: If using a PC, you must use Internet Explorer. A Mac should automatically open the site when you click on the above link. User Name: studentcontest. No password. Follow the directions at the top of the screen.
- Only submissions with the video, contest entry form, and any necessary video releases will be considered complete.
- All entrants must sign and agree to the copyright transfer included on the entry form. AGU may use your video in future pamphlets, brochures, and informational booklets; at meetings, lectures, and workshops; in public presentations during meetings and other events; in promotional and educational videos; and on websites maintained by AGU.
Selection of Winners
- After closing date for submissions (30 June), AGU Science Department staff will review and select up to five finalists for the video competition.
- Videos will be uploaded to an album on AGU’s YouTube page. The videos with the most “Likes” at 23:59 on 4 August will be chosen as the winner.
- Winner(s) will be notified by 7 August.
Questions? Contact Matt Noreika at email@example.com.
Timeline: 2013 Student Video Contest
|1 May||Contest open for submissions|
|30 June||Submission deadline|
|5 July||Semi-Finalists published on YouTube for judging|
|4 August||Deadline for voting|
|7 August||Announcement of winner(s)|